The Sarnia Muslim Association (SMA) is seeking a spiritual leader to join our team. The Imam is expected to provide Islamic religious guidance, practices and leadership to the Muslim community in Sarnia Ontario, according to Sunni Muslim faith; establish and promote educational and extracurricular programs for adults and youth; lead the establishment of a unified Muslim community welcoming to all Muslims from different backgrounds, ethnicities and cultures; engage with the larger community to promote friendship and understanding between Muslims and non-Muslims in the community. The Imam reports directly to the Board of Executive Committee Members (the Management) of SMA.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- A Sunni Muslim with minimum of six years Aalim Course from an Islamic school in Canada or U.S.A.
- A bachelor/master’s degree or equivalent in Islamic studies is preferred
- Fluency in English and Arabic (Spoken and written)
- Hafiz-ul-Quran with excellent recitation skills.
- Possess comprehensive knowledge in Quran, hadith and sunnah of the Prophet (PBUH)
- Practical experience as an Imam or Assistant Imam preferred.
- Ability to work with people of different cultures and backgrounds
- Ability to teach Quran and religion
- Has a dynamic personality and is a motivational speaker
- Demonstrated experience in Islamic family and youth counseling
- Ability to interact with and relate to youth
- Experience in interfaith activities is preferred
- Provide police clearance (Vulnerable Sector Screening)
- Ontario driver’s license
- Lead daily prayers
- Give khutbah and lead prayer for Jummah and Eid except when there is a guest khateeb
- Lead the Taraweeh Prayer in Ramadan
- Offer Islamic family and youth counselling and guidance as needed
- Provide weekly/daily Quran, Hadith, Seerah, Fiqh and tajwid classes and other Islamic topics to increase knowledge for the adults thus providing the spiritual growth of the community
- Provide Quran hadith and Arabic classes on weekend for the youngsters in the community
- Participate in the community activities that further good interfaith and public relations for Islam and Muslim
- Willingness to work with the Management of SMA.
- Work with the Management of SMA on fundraising and other festive programs for example Eid festivities etc. as needed by the community
- Plan Imam’s activities and communicate to the Management of SMA.
- Maintain regular and convenient office hours at the Masjid for the community members to seek religious counsel and guidance
- Solemnize Marriage and burial ceremonies
- Interact with all persons and organizations, Muslim and Non-Muslim in a manner that reflects positively on Islam
- Continually strive and conduct oneself in ways that foster unity and inclusiveness among all community members and promote broad participation in Islamic and community activities
- Lead by example to prevent discrimination on any basis including but not limited to school of thought, gender, race, nationality, ethnic origin, citizenship, political affiliation or economic status
- Conduct oneself in a manner that is respectful of history and diversity of the Muslim community
- Provide Islamic education and guidance to new Muslims
Compensation: will be based on qualification and experience
Start date: Requirement is Immediate other details will be discussed during the interview process
How to Apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume to the Sarnia Muslim Association: firstname.lastname@example.org